Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Our Scary NHS - 2


Postponing our appointment
"The UK has had universal free health care and public health programmes for more than six decades. Several policy initiatives and structural reforms of the health system have been undertaken. Health expenditure has increased substantially since 1990, albeit from relatively low levels compared with other countries.... However, the UK performed significantly worse than the EU15+ for age-standardised death rates, age-standardised YLL rates*, and life expectancy in 1990, and its relative position had worsened by 2010."
Today's report in the Lancet is a timely companion to yesterday's blog. Not that it tells regular BOM readers anything particularly new about the under-performance of our nationalised healthcare system, but the facts need to be known much more widely, and this Lancet study has certainly grabbed the headlines.

The study focuses on premature death, and as we've blogged many times, compared to its counterparts just across the Channel, the NHS is pretty poor at keeping us alive. In the BOM book we summarise the key figures on premature death, including our low survival rates for cancer and heart disease. In fact, every year around 50,000 of us - the population of Salisbury - die from diseases which should in theory have been treatable (so called Mortality Amenable to Healthcare). Of course, no healthcare system manages to prevent all such deaths, but the European social insurance systems do much better.

And although our life expectancy has increased hugely under the NHS, nobody can seriously argue that's down to the NHS itself. While life expectancy has increased by around 13 years since the NHS was founded, in the previous five decades it had increased by 20 years. These are worldwide trends, and they reflect improvements in medical knowledge and diet much more than the efforts of our underperforming NHS.

However, despite the headlines, the Lancet article did not set out to be an NHS hatchet job. Rather, it puts the blame for our poor showing on our own unhealthy lifestyles - too many horse burgers and not enough press ups. And the report's authors clearly want more state intervention to control our unhealthy lifestyles. More public health programmes, more booze taxes, more fat taxes, more sugar taxes, more indolence taxes, etc etc.

You can certainly see how you get there - if we could all be hassled or forced into living healthier lives, we'd almost certainly live longer and probably save the NHS a shed-load of cash. It's exactly the kind of thinking that drove Labour's anti-obesity programme, although somehow they never did get round to fat and sugar taxes.

Except of course, that's not how the better performing countries do it. Although France, Spain, and Italy all outperform us in this study, my own extensive research suggests that their booze taxes, at least, are an awful lot lower than ours. The issue is rather more complex than comparative tax rates and public education campaigns.

What this study really highlights is that when it comes to health, we have a lot to learn from our neighbours. None of them have a nationalised health system, yet most of them enjoy longer healthier lives than us. Instead of pretending our healthcare system is the envy of the world, we should have the humility to look and learn.

PS I've just been listening to Sir David Nicholson being grilled by the Health Select Committee. I must say I admire the guy's sheer nerve. Yes, he says, terrible things happened at mid-Staffs while I was in charge of the regional health authority, but I knew nothing about it. Barclays tried that one, but Diamond still had to walk the plank. And even if Nicholson didn't know, he surely should have done. As we've said many times on BOM, you can delegate authority, but you can never delegate responsibility.

*YLL is Years of potential Life Lost

26 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:10 am

    I seriously love your blog.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you develop this site yourself? Please reply back as I'm hoping to create my very own blog and would love to know where you got this from or what the theme is called. Thank you!

    Here is my blog :: online forex currency trading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bạn muốn sử dụng dịch vụ ship hàng toàn quốc. Hãy đến với Proship chúng tôi. Vì sao lại phải chọn chúng tôi?
      Vì chúng tôi có nhiều kinh nghiệm và đang cung cấp dịch vụ vận chuyển như dịch vụ giao hàng tận nơi, dịch vụ ký gửi hàng hóa, dịch vụ chuyển hàng thu tiền hộ, gửi hàng bằng xe tải, gửi hàng đi Đà Nẵng, cho thuê kho quận 10, cho thuê kho bãi trong tphcm với kho đạt chất lượng gsp, gửi hàng đi Hà Nội... Hãy đến với chúng tôi khi bạn cần gửi hàng nhé.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1:20 am

    If you are going for most excellent contents like me, only visit
    this web page everyday because it gives quality contents, thanks

    My web site ... how to make free money

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:59 pm

    There's an interesting (!) article in the HSJ arguing that Nicholson's defenestration would make no difference whatsoever which automatically gives rise to the question as to what he's bally well doing there in the first place?

    It has absolutely astounded me as to what on earth the Tories are playing at. By tarnishing Nicholson, by focussing on Mid Staffs, by promising 'heads will roll', 'not on our watch' etc then they could have taken the health fight to Labour; exposed their faux sentiment and at least attempted to diminish their lead in the polls on health but.......tumbleweeds. Worse than tumbleweeds, bloody support?!?

    I have lost significant amount of respect for them due to their lack of planning, their egregious incompetence but when presented with an open goal, a politician is duty bound to attack on partisan grounds but...

    When you can't even get top table politicians who, yer know, can do politics then there really is a lack of point in listening to a word they say. At least Labour know how to protect the tribe. I truly despair.

    DtP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giảm cân có nhiều cách , nhưng cách giảm cân bằng ăn các loại thức ăn được nhiều người dùng đến , món ăn giúp giảm cân, thực đơn giảm cân cấp tốc sẽ giúp bạn có được thân hình đẹp và thon gọn. Khó ngủ hiện nay đang gặp phải ở rất nhiều người , cả già và trẻ .bi kho ngu phai lam sao ? Có nhiều cách trị khó ngủ .Gan là bộ phận lọc các chất độc trong cơ thể người , chính vì vậy việc giải độc gan rất quan trọng . thuốc giải độc gan tốt sẽ giúp bạn có được gan khỏe mạnh . Collagen giúp trẻ hóa làn da và ngăn ngừa các nếp nhăn , kéo dài tuổi thanh xuân, thực phẩm có nhiều collagen sẽ giúp bạn có được làn da đẹp và trẻ mỗi ngày . Ăn các loại các thực phẩm tốt cho mắt sẽ giúp mắt sáng và khỏe mạnh hơn.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:44 am

    I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you're going to a famous blogger
    if you are not already ;) Cheers!

    Here is my page :: srebrnaliga.pl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Có làn da trắng là mong ước của mọi cô gái , sản phẩm thuốc ivory caps giúp làm trắng da toàn thân ngoài ra bạn cũng có thể sử dụng các loại loai kem chong nang tot nhat. Ngoài ra nếu bạn muốn làn da luôn tươi trẻ thì nên dùng my pham sakura nhat ban như kem duong da chong lao hoa sakura giúp làn da luôn trẻ đẹp xóa các nếp nhăn. Cách thuoc herba vixmen an toàn và hiệu quả bằng herba vixmen , vậy thuoc herba vixmen mua o dau , có an toàn không và mua ở đâu sẽ được cho biết sau đây. Sản phẩm giúp bà bầu và thai nhi như prenatal multi dha sẽ bổ sung chất dinh dưỡng cho cả bà bầu và thai nhi.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:35 am

    Тoԁay, I went to the beach with my kids.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 уear old daughter and sаid "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." Shе plаceԁ the shell tο
    her еar and screamed. Тhere was
    a hermit сrab іnsiԁe and it pinсhed hеr ear.
    She neveг wants to go bаck! LoL I knoω this is totally off topic but I had to
    tell someone!

    Take a look at mу website ... Get the facts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back to blogging Mike. (h/t to "Last Ditch") You're back on my "must read" list. :-)

    You really need to have a look at your spam filters though.. At the time of writing you have 80% spam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. monoi5:07 pm

    Happy to see you back.

    I would be less full of praise when it comes to continental systems, especially the french one as it is also an utter financial failure, which costs a lot more than the NHS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:01 pm

    Appreciate this post. Will try it out.

    Also visit my blog post :: how to make extra money fast

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:20 pm

    I think that everything posted was very logical. But, what about this?

    suppose you added a little content? I ain't suggesting your information isn't solid.
    , however what if you added something that grabbed people's attention? I mean "Our Scary NHS - 2" is kinda vanilla. You ought to peek at Yahoo's home page and note how they create news titles to grab viewers to open the links.

    You might add a related video or a picture or two to grab people interested about everything've got to say. In my opinion, it could bring your posts a little bit more interesting.

    Also visit my page: what is the best way to make money fast
    my site - making Money Online

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:21 pm

    Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like
    you wrote the book in it or something. I think that
    you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit,
    but other than that, this is excellent blog. A great read.

    I'll certainly be back.

    my website; best way to earn money onlinehow to make online money

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:35 pm

    I am in fact thankful to the owner of this site who has shared this fantastic post at here.


    Feel free to surf to my blog post - legitimate work from home jobs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:52 pm

    Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my
    facebook group? There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

    Stop by my web blog :: how to make real money from home

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:57 pm

    I read this article completely regarding the comparison of
    most recent and preceding technologies, it's remarkable article.

    Feel free to surf to my page - day trading taxesforex seminars
    My site: day trading taxesforex Candlestick patterns

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:01 pm

    I almost never drop remarks, but i did a few searching and wound up here "Our Scary NHS - 2".
    And I do have 2 questions for you if you tend not to mind.
    Could it be only me or does it give the impression like a
    few of these comments look like they are left by brain dead
    people? :-P And, if you are posting at other sites, I
    would like to follow anything new you have to post.

    Would you make a list of every one of your public sites like your linkedin profile,
    Facebook page or twitter feed?

    Also visit my web blog ... what are penny stocks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:12 pm

    Wow that was strange. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment
    didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again.
    Anyway, just wanted to say great blog!

    Also visit my homepage; how to make money without a job

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8:13 pm

    Excellent weblog here! Additionally your web site loads up
    fast! What web host are you using? Can I get your associate hyperlink on your host?
    I wish my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

    Here is my site: how to make extra money fast

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8:20 pm

    What's up to every single one, it's genuinely a nice for me to pay a visit this site, it contains valuable Information.


    Feel free to surf to my site :: easy ways to make lots of money

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8:21 pm

    This website definitely has all of the information and facts I needed concerning this
    subject and didn't know who to ask.

    Feel free to visit my homepage; insta forex

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous8:37 pm

    Fastidious answer back in return of this question with firm arguments and
    describing all about that.

    Also visit my web site how to Make fast money

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8:50 pm

    What's up colleagues, good piece of writing and fastidious arguments commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying by these.

    Also visit my site ... forex account

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous9:03 pm

    You actually make it seem so easy with your
    presentation but I find this matter to be really something that
    I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me.
    I am looking forward for your next post, I will
    try to get the hang of it!

    Also visit my blog post online work from home

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:18 pm

    What's Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads. I'm hoping
    to contribute & assist other users like its aided me.
    Great job.

    Here is my webpage - work at home jobs

    ReplyDelete
  23. So why do our Continental cousins live longer? Is it a different attitude to life? A less squashed proletariat and a less harried middle class?

    ReplyDelete