Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Time To Scrap Barnett


The Bloke's paper on the Barnett Formula is published today by the TPA.

As you will know, the Barnett Formula is HM Treasury's rule for divvying up taxpayers' cash between the major regions of the UK. When it was established 30 years ago, the idea was that it would gradually eliminate the historic spending advantage enjoyed by Scotland over England. But it has failed.

The current situation (2007-08) is that all three of the devolved territories continue to enjoy significant premia, of up to 30%, in terms of public spending per capita:


As can be seen, with the (entirely understandable) exception of N Ireland, these premia have remained broadly unchanged since HMT first published annual numbers (for 85-86). Indeed, a one-off HMT exercise in the pre-Barnett mid-70s showed the Scottish premium at 22%, exactly the same as 2007-08. No progress has been made, and it's no wonder Scotland continues to enjoy superior public services (no university fees, free care for the elderly, free bus passes at 60 etc etc).

So what's it cost British taxpayers? We estimate that the cumulative cost since 1985-6 has been around £200bn. That is, if the devolved territories had received the same per capita spending as England, our taxes would have been lower by a cumulative £200bn, or c£8 grand per household (and that takes no account of inflation - in today's money it would be much higher). The vast bulk of this has been paid by English taxpayers.

Can this gap be justified?

Scot Nats like to wheel out North Sea Oil - they argue that since it's Scotland's oil, the extra spending is funded by oil revenue. But that isn't true. For sure, when oil prices are up at recent levels, the sums just about work out. But in more normal times they don't.

We looked at the balance over the last 23 years (as far back as the data goes), and found that oil revenues would only have paid for the extra spending in five of those years:


Over the period as a whole, oil revenues fell short of the extra spending by around £26bn.

So what to do?

Enter our old friend, fiscal decentralisation. Scotland and the other devolved territories should be made responsible for raising much more of their own money. Not only would that be fairer to English taxpayers, but as OECD and other research has confirmed, it would likely result in a much more efficient use of public funds. When taxpayers know that their taxes are directly related to the services they see around them in their own locality, they are apt to be far more demanding.

As we've blogged many times, the UK has the most centralised taxation system of any of the G7. Only 4% of our taxes are set and raised locally, compared to an average of around 20%:


The Calman Commission is currently review the whole area. May we urge it to be bold.

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:47 pm

    I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest
    but your blogs really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on. Cheers

    Have a look at my web site - womens cargo pants
    my web page: Women s plus size cargo pants

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:49 pm

    Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just
    wondering if you get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can advise?
    I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.

    Feel free to surf to my website: Diaper Coupons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:10 pm

    Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this website. It's simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it's difficult to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and visual appeal. I must say that you've done
    a fantastic job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Internet explorer.
    Excellent Blog!

    Here is my blog post ... jean diaper coupons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:23 pm

    Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm going to
    start my own blog soon but I'm having a difficult time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique.

    P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!



    Also visit my site; Dark Spot Corrector

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:40 pm

    I do not know whether it's just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing issues with your site. It appears as though some of the text within your content are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too? This might be a issue with my web browser because I've had
    this happen previously. Thank you

    my website used lifted dodge cummins
    My site :: http://www.dodgecumminsforsale.org/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:07 am

    Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your weblog. You have some really good posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like
    to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please send me an e-mail if interested. Cheers!

    My blog post :: detox from methadone
    Also see my web site :: heavy addiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:28 am

    When I originаlly commеnteԁ I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" сheckbox and nοw each
    tіme a commеnt is added I gеt four e-mаils with the same comment.
    Is there any way уou can remove people from that service?

    Many thanκs!

    Also viѕit my webѕite: Cross Country Running Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:28 am

    Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.

    You have done a outstanding job!

    My web site ... worldofgreentea.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:23 pm

    Terrific post however , I was wanting to know if you could
    write a litte more on this subject? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Kudos!

    Stop by my web site ... Green Tea Diet
    My webpage - Mega Green Tea Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:46 pm

    Hey there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
    Anyhow, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back frequently!


    my site; allaboutcargopants.com
    Also see my webpage: white cargo pants for women

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:30 am

    Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your content seem to be running off the screen in Firefox.
    I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you
    know. The style and design look great though! Hope you get
    the issue fixed soon. Thanks

    Also visit my web site ... Withdrawal Symptoms From Methadone

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:36 am

    Whoa! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!

    Look into my website: Green Tea Tablets

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:45 pm

    Hey would you mind letting me know which webhost you're utilizing? I've
    loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers and I must say
    this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you suggest a good
    web hosting provider at a reasonable price? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!


    My webpage camouflage cargo pants for men

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:45 pm

    Does your website have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd
    like to shoot you an e-mail. I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

    Feel free to surf to my website - Vera Wang Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3:11 pm

    Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit
    and sources back to your website? My blog site is in the
    very same area of interest as yours and my visitors would truly benefit from some of the information
    you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you.
    Thanks!

    Here is my webpage :: women cargo pants
    My website - wrangler cargo pants

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous11:26 pm

    Admiring the hard work you put into your site and detailed information you
    provide. It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed information.
    Great read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS
    feeds to my Google account.

    Here is my page - math games 7Th grade

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6:00 am

    My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .

    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on several websites for about a year
    and am worried about switching to another platform.
    I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content
    into it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Take a look at my web-site; vera wang wedding shoes
    My web site :: vera wang bridal shoes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous7:30 am

    I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really
    nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future. Cheers

    Also visit my homepage - green cargo pants
    My website - true religion cargo pants

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous11:15 am

    Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely
    long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.

    I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips and hints for rookie blog writers? I'd genuinely appreciate it.



    My blog cummins for sale
    my web site :: Lifted Dodge Cummins

    ReplyDelete